The 2009 F-150 is a total redesign, one that Ford approached at as an opportunity, looking at every area of the truck to see where improvements were needed. Did they succeed? It looks good, but we won't know for sure until buyers start driving trucks off of dealer lots.
2009 F-150 Highlights
- The hydroformed high-strength steel frame is lighter but stronger, offering 10-percent more torsional rigidity and higher towing and hauling capacity than previous models.
- Standard equipment includes AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control and Trailer Sway Control (both systems help keep the truck under control during quick maneuvers).
- The F-150 has an optional rear camera mounted in the tailgate -- perfect for hooking up to a trailer.
- You can get an (optional) integrated trailer brake controller that's automatically activated when you hit the brakes, and can also be controlled by a lever on the dash.
- Ford redesigned the truck's front and rear suspension for a better ride and improved handling.
- The F-150 has a high-strength steel tube structure coming from the base of A-pillar (windshield post), up and along the roof, and coming down the rear of cab to form a rigid structure that enhances strength and safety.
- The truck's roof and cab panels are "laser edge welded" to the tube structure using a full length weld instead of spot weld, which improves strength and safety and makes the cab quieter.
- You can choose from three V-8 engines: a 4.6L 2-valve, 4.6L 3-valve or a 5.4lL 3-valve.
- Look for a 4-speed automatic transmission on 4.6L 2-valve models and a 6-speed automatic on all others.
- The 2009 F-150 has a larger interior with 30 storage compartments of various sizes. The longer console has a compartment that can hold 2 laptops.
- The F-150 truck is available with Ford Sync, Sirius TraveLink, Voice Activated Navigation and a Sony 700 watt, 10-speaker audio system.
- The SuperCrew has fold up rear seat and truly flat rear floor.
- The cab is 6-inches longer and the front door post has been moved back for better peripheral vision.
- Ford added multiple types of sound-absorbing materials in the dash, firewall and roof.
- The 2009 Ford F-150 is still offered in the XL, STX, XLT, FX4, Lariat and King Ranch trim levels, with a new Platinum Edition that's built for luxury. It features 10-way leather captains chairs, a real wood dash and brushed aluminum trim throughout the cabin.
- The Ford F-150 Platinum SuperCrew has power retractable running boards; optional on other models.
More 2009 Ford F-150 Options
- Box Side Step
- Tailgate Step with Pull-Up Bar, first introduced in the 2008 Super Duty
- Stowable Bed Extender
- Cargo Management System
- Midbox Storage
Look for fuel economy to improve about 1-mpg in 2009. In 2010 we'll see a diesel F-150 and trucks fitted with Ford's new EcoBoost gas turbo direct injection engines.