A new Tacoma model, called X-Runner, gives buyers the option of driving a sportier truck with sleek looks, a new 245-horsepower V6 engine and specially tuned chassis.
There are 18 different Tacoma truck configurations, based on three cab styles:
- Regular Cab, with a 73.5-in. long bed
- Access Cab, with dual access doors, tumble flat rear seats, and a 73.5-in. long bed
- Double Cab, with larger rear doors and your choice of a 60.3-in. or 73.5-in. long bed.
You can choose a 4WD or 2WD Tacoma. The PreRunners are 2WD trucks, but with the raised stance and styling of a 4WD vehicle.
- Anti-lock brakes with electronic brace-force distribution and brake assist are standard
- Vehicle skid control available on all except X-Runner
- Bench seat Tacoma trucks have dual-stage deployment passenger front airbags
- Models with bucket or sport seats equipped with dual stage airbags with an occupant classification system
- Front passenger airbag cutoff switch is standard on Regular and Access Cab trucks
- Optional curtain and seat side airbags are available on Double Cab Tacomas
- A 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 164 horsepower and 183 lb-ft. of torque
- A revised 4.0-liter V6 that produces 245 horsepower and 282 lb-ft. of torque
Both engines have a new Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence that helps improve performance and fuel economy.
- A six-speed manual and a five-speed automatic for V6 trucks.
- A five-speed manual or four-speed automatic for four-cylinder trucks.
A properly equipped V6 Tacoma can tow up to 6,500 pounds, a 30-percent increase over the 2004 model's towing capacity.
New Truck Bed
Tacoma has a new, composite inner bed with a sheet-molded compound deck. The walls that are lighter than steel, but more durable. The bed features:
- Two-tier loading
- An integrated deck rail utility with four adjustable tie-down cleats
- Bed accessories: cargo bed cross bars, a fork-mount bike rack, and diamond-plate storage boxes
- A 115V/400W powerpoint is available
- A roof rack system with crossbars is available on Double Cabs
Interior Storage & Seating
Access and Double Cabs have tumble-flat rear seats with underseat storage, with more storage behind the rear seat back on Double Cabs. The front passenger seat folds flat on all Double Cabs and other trucks with bucket seats (not sport seats).
Toyota has upped to a higher-grade seat fabric. Front seats have additional seat track travel in Access and Double Cabs, and rear seats in the Double Cab models are 1.25-in. higher than before. Extra sound absorption material has been added in the headliner and behind the rear seats.
AudioAccess and Double Cabs have upgraded audio systems with an AM/FM radio and CD player with a 6-disc changer and six speakers. An audio system with seven speakers and amplified subwoofer is available on Double Cabs. Both audio upgrades feature steering wheel audio controls.
Toyota Racing Development (TRD) Pakckage
TRD Offroad Package
Chassis modifications include:
- Locking rear differential
- Progressive-rate front springs
- Specially tuned Bilstein shock absorbers
- 28-mm front stabilizer bar
- 265/70R16 BF Goodrich Rugged Trail tires
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Fog lamps
- TRD graphics
TRD Sport Package
- Enhanced suspension tuning
- Limited-slip rear differential
- Lower-profile 265/65R17 tires
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Fog lamps
- Hood scoop
- TRD graphics
- Color-keyed rear bumper, mirrors, grill surround and door handles
- Double Cabs have an electrochromic auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Trucks with either option package have a 400W/115V powerpoint in the bed, sport seats with adjustable lumbar support, and an overhead console with a compass and outside temperature display.
Tacoma Pricing, Overall MSRP $16,520 - $33,640
Regular Cabs from $13,415 for the 2WD 4-cylinder with a manual transmission to $17,360 for the 4WD 4-cylinder with manual transmission.
Access Cabs from $16,855 for the 2WD 4-cylinder with manual transmission to $23,125 for 4WD V6 Tacomas with an automatic.
Double Cabs have a base of $21,675 for Pre-Runner V6 automatic transmission models with a short bed. 4WD Double Cab models with a V6 engine, automatic transmission and a long bed have a base of $25,250.
The Tacoma X-Runner has a base of $23,110.
Toyota Truck Warranty
- 36-month/36,000-mile basic new-vehicle limited warranty
- 60 months/60,000 miles powertrain warranty
- Corrosion perforation for 60 months with no mileage limitation
Get the facts about the 2005 X-Runner pickup truck.
Tacoma Photo Gallery
Take a close look: Tacoma Photos.