What's New for 2004?
- Second-row sport bucket seating on Eddie Bauer and Limited editions with a third-row seat
- AdvanceTrac enhanced stability control system is available on V-6 XLT, Eddie Bauer and Limited models (previously available on V-8 only)
- Auxiliary Climate Control now offered in all rear-seating configurations
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System now standard on all models equipped with aluminum wheels
- NBX package updates: Off-Road package is now standard, optional power moonroof and new NBX rear badge
- 4.6-liter V-8 and 4.0-liter V-6 have new engine components to meet LEV II emission standards
- New exterior colors: Dark Blue Pearl Clearcoat and Pueblo Gold Clearcoat Metallic
2004 Explorer Overview
- All models are available with a fold-flat third-row seat for seven-passenger seating, a feature made possible because of Explorer's compact independent rear suspension design.
- The Safety Canopy side-curtain air bag system with rollover protection is optional; the Personal Safety System and anti-lock brakes are standard equipment.
- The 2004 Explorer is available in XLS, XLS Sport, XLT, XLT Sport, NBX, Eddie Bauer and Limited trims.
- 2004 brings with it a new grille that features the familiar egg-crate insert of all Ford SUVs.
- In seven-passenger models, the second-row seat is split 40/20/40, offering easy access to the third row, as well as the ability to customize the cargo area for long or odd-sized cargo.
- The Explorer NBX is back, with an exterior featuring two-tone black front and rear bumpers that coordinate with the black side moldings, wheel lips and step bars.
Under the Hood
The Explorer is powered by a choice of two engines:
- 4.6-liter V-8 has an aluminum block and heads and is an overhead-cam design. It delivers 239 horsepower and 282 foot-pounds of torque and will go 100,000 miles before its first scheduled tune-up.
- 4.0-liter V-6 offers flexible fuel capability and produces 210 horsepower and 254 foot-pounds of torque.
- Towing capability is built-in, with the standard receiver hitch offering Class II towing. A towing package provides Class III/IV towing capability of up to 7,140 pounds when properly equipped.
- ControlTrac four-wheel drive is available.
- Steel beams in the doors help prevent intrusion during side impacts.
- Four-wheel-disc anti-lock brakes are standard.
- Optional Safety Canopy curtain air bag system, power adjustable pedals, a tire-pressure monitoring system and AdvanceTrac stability control.
Trim Level Variations
XLS: 4.0L V-6 engine, five-speed automatic transmission, anti-lock four-wheel disc brakes, tilt steering wheel, speed control, cloth upholstery, front bucket seats, center console, split-folding rear seat, power mirrors, windows and door locks, keyless entry, AM/FM/CD stereo, intermittent wipers, rear defogger, intermittent rear wiper/washer, map lights and cargo-management system.
XLS Sport adds to XLS: 16-inch aluminum wheels, Medium Dark Platinum wheel lip moldings, black step bars, deluxe center floor console and floormats.
XLT adds to XLS: leather-wrapped steering wheel, front bucket seats w/lumbar adjustment, six-way power driver seat, keypad entry, overhead console, automatic day/night rearview mirror, outside-temperature indicator, compass, cargo cover and automatic headlights.
XLT Sport adds to XLT: 17-inch machined aluminum wheels, P245/65R17 all-terrain OWL tires, platinum gloss step bars, platinum gloss cladding, wheel lip moldings and two-tone front and rear fascia.
Eddie Bauer/Limited adds to XLT: leather upholstery, heated front seats, six-way power passenger seat, driver-seat memory, steering wheel radio and climate controls, power-adjustable pedals w/memory, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated power mirrors, Audiophile AM/FM radio w/in-dash six-disc CD changer, universal garage-door opener and message center.
NBX adds to XLT: 17-inch machined aluminum wheels, P245/65R17 all-terrain OWL tires, off-road package, two-tone black front/rear bumper, black cladding, wheel lip moldings, step bars, rubber floor mats, cargo soft liner, storage bag, front tow hooks and unique cloth interior.
Major Options include second-row sport-bucket seating on Eddie Bauer and Limited, Class III/IV towing package, Safety Canopy, rear seat DVD entertainment sytem, Reverse Sensing System, rear-seat climate control, power moonroof, power-adjustable pedals, AdvanceTrac and third-row seat and off-road package.
Explorer Pricing, MSRP*
Page 2: Explorer Specifications
*Manufactuer's Suggested Retail Price