New Platform, New Engine
The Xterra is built on Nissan's new F-Alpha platform, which was created for use on the new Nissan Titan full-size pickup and Nissan Armada full-size SUV. It's powered by a new 4.0-liter version of Nissans VQ-series V6 engine.
New Exterior Styling
- Large, flared fenders
- New roof rack with latchable lid
- New rear bumper design with side steps for easy access to the roof rack
- Larger hood and headlights and strut-style grille
The 2005 Xterras wheelbase has been extended two full inches, providing a smoother ride and more interior room, but the overall length is only two-tenths of an inch longer due to a reduced front overhang. The Xterras width has been increased by 2.5 inches and height has increased by 1.9 inches.
Nissan's motto for the Xterra has always been: everything you need, nothing you dont. The automaker says that's even more true of the 2005 version.
- Front leg room has increased by 0.9 inch
- Front head room is 0.7 inch higher
- Leg room in the second row is has grown by 3.6 inches, head room by 2.3 inches
- A fold-down front passenger seat is available, adding hauling capabilities for long gear
- The center console has been enlarged and the glove compartment is now a double deck design
- Additional storage in the instrument panel
- 10 cargo area utility hooks: 6 on the floor/sides and four on the ceiling and sides (floor hooks can carry up to 110 pounds)
- New adjustable channel system in the cargo floor, similar in design to the Utili-track system offered on the Titan and Frontier pickups
- Premium 300-watt Rockford Fosgate® powered audio system with nine speakers, steering wheel controls, MP3 capability and satellite radio (optional receiver and antenna must be purchased and installed; satellite service must be activated).
- New electronically controlled 5-speed automatic transmission based on the transmission used in the 350Z, modified for use in truck applications (with an emphasis on acceleration, fuel economy and shift quality).
- Available 6-speed manual transmission also based on a 350Z design.
- Offered in 4WD or 2WD configurations
- Engine speed-sensitive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering
- 4-wheel disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). Available wheels and tires include up to 17-inch wheels with 265/65R17 tires
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones
- Dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat belt sensors and a front occupant classification sensor
- 3-point front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
- 3-point seat belts for all rear seat occupants
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat anchor system
- Available supplemental front-seat side-impact air bags, and available roof-mounted supplemental curtain air bags for side impact and rollover protection for all outboard passengers
S, Off-Road and SE models will be offered. Each has a standard 4.0-liter V6 and a choice of manual or automatic transmissions in 4WD or 2WD configurations. The 2005 Xterra goes on sale at Nissan dealers nationwide in early 2005.
Pricing was not announced at introduction.
Dimensions and Specifications
- 4.0-liter DOHC V6
- 250-plus horsepower; 270-plus lb-ft torque (Final figures to be announced)
- 5-speed electronically controlled automatic, or
- 6-speed manual transmission
- Fully boxed, all-steel (F-Alpha platform, based on Nissan Armada)
- Front engine/2WD or 4WD or with 2WD/4H/4LO
- Electronically controlled part-time transfer case
- Available Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)
- Available advanced off-road traction capabilities
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension with coil springs
- Rigid leaf rear suspension
- Available high-performance gas shock absorbers
- Engine speed-sensitive power-assisted rack-and-pinion
- 4-wheel disc with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
Wheels & Tires:
- Up to 17-inch wheels with 265/65R17 tires
Wheelbase: 106.3 inches
Length: 178.7 inches
Width: 72.8 inches
Height: 71.4 inches
- 4WD and 2WD in a choice of S, Off-Road and SE trim levels