2003 Dodge RamThe 2003 Dodge Ram Heavy Duty pickup truck is aimed at the heart of the HD market, with two new engine offerings and, for the first time on a Ram, a 3500 single rear wheel option.
Two New Ram Truck Engines for 2003HEMI Magnum Engine
Standard this year is the all-new 5.7-liter HEMI Magnum V-8 engine, which Dodge calls "the most powerful diesel engine on the market and the most powerful standard V-8 engine in its class." The all-new engine produces 345 horsepower at 5,400 rpm and 375 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,200 rpm. When compared to vehicles with similar size gas engines, it delivered best-in-class acceleration and towing capability, plus improved fuel efficiency over the Ram engine it replaces.
Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine
Another Ram truck engine choice is the new, high-pressure, common-rail injection, High Output Cummins Turbo Diesel engine, producing 305 horsepower at 2,900 rpm and 555 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,400 rpm (towing capability of 23,000 pounds).
Also available on 2003 Ram trucks is a standard Cummins Turbo Diesel with 250 horsepower at 2,900 rpm and 460 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,400 rpm.
The Cummins Turbo Diesel has average major overhaul intervals of 350,000 miles. An inline six, the new 5.9-liter Cummins has 30 to 40 percent fewer parts than typical V-8 diesels, enhancing durability and reliability.
Ram's Enhanced Steering
Ram trucks have a new rack and pinion steering system that's tuned for more precise on-road handling.
4WD Ram Pickup Trucks
Four wheel drive Rams have a new recirculating ball system that's designed to improve steering precision, especially when making tight turns, or maneuvering a trailer in close quarters.
Ram Truck Chassis
The trucks feature an extensively hydroformed frame -- one of the stiffest ever on a pickup truck. The chassis stiffness provides a firm foundation for tuning out noise, vibration and harshness from the suspension.
Ram Truck Suspension & Off-Road Handling
- Two new transfer cases, a conventional manual shift and a new electric shift are available on 2500 and 3500 four-wheel drive Ram trucks, resulting in quieter operation and more durability.
- The manual-shift unit is standard on ST and SLT trucks. The electric-shift unit is standard on Laramie pickups.
- 4WD units have a new front axle, but retain solid beam construction.
- Front suspension on 4WD 2500 and 3500 trucks is a refined version of the five-link, coil-spring suspension with beam axle used in the previous modesl.
- A link-tye sway bar and heavy-duty tubular shocks are standard.
- Leaf springs on both the 2WD and 4WD models are three inches longer than found on previous HD Ram trucks.
- Standard driver and front-passenger air bags. The passenger side air bag can be turned off on Standard Cab Rams.
- Side curtain air bags.
- A Lower Anchor and Tether for Children (LATCH) child seat anchoring system.
- Four-wheel anti-lock braking system (ABS).
- Power adjustable pedals on both automatic and manual transmission equipped trucks.
- Pre-tensioning, constant-force seat belt retractors.
Dodge Ram Warranty
The 2003 Dodge Ram HD has the only seven year/70,000 mile warranty in the heavy-duty truck segment.